Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Life: The Parrothead Soundtrack

Who are you

I'm a piece of work, I'm iron and lace
I'm shy, I'm right up in your face
I'm all dumbfounded, stubborn as an ass
Sharp as an arrow in a pile of glass.
I'm a sweetheart, genius, reckless jerk.
Lord, have mercy, I'm a piece of work

Are you male or female?

Photograph shows she is lovely
Her barefeet are a work of art
Her fragrance speaks of frangipanni
Yes she's still a hula girl at heart

What place do you love best?

I wanna be there
Wanna go back down and lie beside the sea there
With a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine
And I'm a' chewin' on a honeysuckle vine

What do you look like?

She had rings on her fingers and bells on her shoes
And I knew without askin' she was into the blues
She wore scarlet begonias tucked into her curls
I knew right away she was not like other girls, other girls (Grateful Dead cover)

What do you want to say to your best friend?

These moments we're left with
May you always remember
These moments are shared by few
There's wind in our hair
And there's water in our shoes
Honey, it's been a lovely cruise

What’s your best quality?

So tell me all your troubles
I'll surely tell you mine
We'll laugh and smoke and cuss and joke
And have a glass of wine

What’s your worst quality?

I know that I've
The imagination of a child
And there are times
When I let it all run wild

Where do you see yourself in one year?

A Woman On A Mission
Quite Familiar With Quasars
Her Hearts Still In The Kitchen
But Her Soul Is In The Stars
Her Engine Fueled With Logic
And Navigation Expertise
It's A Very Distant Puzzle
She's Gonna Get Her Piece

What’s your secret?

The rumors and the stories of my past I can't deny
I'm no Saint Ignatius but again I'm no barfly
The wrong thing is the right thing until you lose control
I've got this bank of bad habits in a corner of my soul

Something you like about yourself

I live on a big round ball
I never do dream I may fall
And even one day if I do
Well I'll jump up and smile back at you

What does love mean to you?

When the day that lies ahead of me
Seems impossible to face
When someone else instead of me
Always seems to know the way

Then I look at you
And the world's alright with me
Just one look at you
And I know it's gonna be
A lovely day...

What would you say to the one who got away?

Tried to phone from Paris thinking
Things could be arranged
Me and you could rendezvous
But I found your number changed
So I drove to San Remo where
The crazy painter dwells
And toasted our old photographs
Still up there on his shelf

What makes you angry?

You can hear it on the coconut telegraph
Can't keep nothin' under their hat
You can hear 'em on the coconut telegraph
Sayin' who did dis and dat
Dis and dat dis and dat

What makes you happy?

My old red bike
Gets me around
To the bars and the beaches of my town
And there aren't many reasons I would leave
Yes, I have found me some peace.

What makes you sad?

He died about a month ago while winter filled the air
And though I cried I was so proud to love a man so rare
He's somewhere on the ocean now that's where he oughta be
With one hand on the starboard rail he's wavin' back at me

I never used to miss the chance to climb up on his knee
And listen to the many tales of life upon the sea
We'd go sailing back on Barkentines we'd talk of things he did
Tomorrow just a day away for the Captain and the kid

How do you feel when you think about your biggest mistake?

Well the coffee is strong
at the Cafe Du Monde,
And the donuts are too hot to touch;
But just like a fool, when those
sweet goodies cool, I ate 'til I ate way too much.
Cause I'm livin' on things that excite me,
Be they pastries or lobsters or love;
I'm just tryin' to get by being quiet and shy,
In a world full of pushin' and shove.

Some words to live by

Sail the main course
In a simple sturdy craft
Keep her well stocked
With short stories and long laughs
Go fast enough to get there
But slow enough to see
Moderation seems to be the key

No comments: