Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Please Obama Girls! Take My Dog!

Who can resist Thanksgiving food? Not me! And, it is EVERYWHERE! On every magazine cover that comes to my sunflower-clad mailbox ... on every staged magazine in the damn Wal-Mart check out line. I finally gave in the other day ... I got out of line and headed to the other side of the store. I had to have turkey and deli turkey was not going to do. I wanted to slave over it, smell it for hours and hours, and culminate the beautiful sensory experience with my very favorite hot turkey sandwich loaded with stuffing, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce ... smothered in gravy. Can't you just smell it??? It's still a little early for the Thanksgiving "meal", but not too early for a small indulgence just to satisfy my holiday food addiction.
It was all coming together right on time ... the delicious smell of the turkey and the sage from the stuffing ... the warm bread ... it was truly heavenly. I got everything out and fixed my daughter a sandwich (before soccer practice) knowing that all of the yumminess would be gone before she returned home. About the same time, Dad got home with some groceries, so I scooted out to the garage to help him get the bags in. Are you sensing that something is about to go wrong?

Yes! Utter and complete disaster! It was our very own "A Christmas Story" moment. My very calm and laid back daughter walks out to the garage and asks, "Did you know Gracie has the turkey?" "WHAT????", I screamed. "I took it away from her", Kit says, "but there's just a little left." "WHAT????", I'm screaming as I run back inside. I enter the kitchen to find the small, gnawed up remains of my succulent, delicious, little turkey breast. I could have just cried! (((This is where you think back to A Christmas Story and hear the Dad shouting at the dog ... "you son-of-a- ....., I'm gonna ....." ))). At that moment, my dear, wonderful Gracie was in more danger with me than she could have ever been in had she been living with Michael Vick. AAAGGGGggghhhhHhH!!!!!!!

I'm not a quitter though. I got myself together in spite of the raucous laughter of my family who only found the greatest of humor in our Christmas Story story. Breathe. Breathe. With fury in my heart and that damn ultimate turkey sandwich controlling my mind, I trimmed off all the sides ... sadly enough, not because the dog had eaten and slobbered there, but just because there was dog hair all over it (~ that crossed the gross line)... I considered washing the whole thing off in the sink and just going for it, but decided against that ... since everyone was watching. When I finally finished "cleaning" what was left of the turkey, I had just enough to fit in the palm of my hand ... and I had to share it ... with Dad & Son #2. Fortunately, my daugher had left for soccer before she could eat hers, so the twins split it.
Bad dog, Gracie! Bad dog!!!! You are such a BAD DOG!!!!!
In case you're wondering, Gracie did not find any of it to be a very big deal ... not even one tiny bit, and she proved once and for all that it's true ... what they say about turkey ... it does make you need a nap.


Today, I refuse to fix anything that takes longer or is more trouble than PopTarts. Cereal and microwave popcorn for everyone! We may have to just eat out though ... the turkey dog farts are killing me.
Give me a call Obama girls ... free delivery! and just in time for Thanksgiving Dinner!
(((only kidding about giving Gracie away ~ even though this dog is in an enormous amount of trouble ... she is a precious and valuable member of this family ... unless she pulls that shit again ... that's a deal-breaker!)))

No comments: